Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Love, Faith, Hope, Courage, Determination: Her Fight

Yesterday was one of those tough days but I remind myself that I have to stop dwelling on my lows. It's a new day and I'm ready to keep moving forward with my mom and her courageous fight!!

We had to take my mom to the ER on Sunday because she was having a lot of pain in her right side that got worse each day.  I'm so glad we went without waiting another day because little did we know the doctors would find a blood clot right under one of her lungs.  The pain she's having though is due to one of her tumors near her liver that has enlarged but we weren't expecting to also find a blood clot.  Thankfully it was found early enough to where it had not spread and she is receiving a blood thinning treatment to help.  So not only are we working on the blood clot concern but there's still another very concerning issue at hand and that's the enlarged tumor that is pressing against other organs.  My mom has various cancer tumors throughout her stomach area and unfortunately the latest chemo treatments have resulted in only a mixed response--meaning some tumors were stable, some decreased in size, and one increased in size.  The best results would've been for all her tumors to decrease in size which would mean the chemo is working.  But due to a mixed response we'll have to have some discussions with the doctors in GA to see if she should continue a few more rounds of the same chemo, add another chemo drug to the current combo, or try something completely new....far from easy choices for my mom and the family because none of these can guarantee a successful response.  At least her GA doctor is remaining HOPEFUL!!

On the other hand, my mom's doctors at Duke have always given up so easy, I never understood it and it's so disheartening and disappointing because there are still other drugs my mom can try.....we have nothing to lose by TRYING but we have everything to lose by NOT TRYING anything.  The harsh reality is that if she's not receiving a treatment we could lose her in a matter of months (at least that what her Duke doctors say).  So it's very hard to wrap my head around why they would tell my mom to consider stopping treatment and just "enjoy life"....how can someone enjoy life when they'll have tumors growing aggressively and rapidly without treatment which will only result in more pain for her?!?  The doctors at Duke made it clear that if the tumors can't be stopped from growing their best guess at my mom's life expectancy would be just months...tough words to listen to.  But my mom made it clear she wants to fight and extend her life as much as possible and I'm not giving up either, it's not in me to give up so easily just because someone in a white coat thinks it's the best choice.  I can't lose hope because of HIM and until HE says it's time for my mom to go I refuse to let others tell me otherwise!!

She's approaching a year of this fight, she's fought through 14 rounds of chemo so far plus numerous hospital visits,  yet even on her weakest days she never loses one bit of fight in her.  She LOVES her family & that's what fuels her fight, I always try to encourage her at all times to never lose FAITH and HOPE because she's has so much COURAGE and DETERMINATION to stop now.  I'm blessed with a beautiful mom to look up to; she has no idea the woman she continues to mold me into.  Her fight is so inspiring & that's what helps me smile through it all. Everything will be ok mom and I'm right by your side fighting with you and guess what....so is HE, I know it.
"From where I'm standing, Lord, it's so hard to see where this is going & where you're leading me. I wish I knew all my fears & all my questions are going to play out in a world I can't control but I'm trusting you each and every day no matter what comes my way I know you're with me.  I'm not afraid of tomorrow because I know you're already there. --Amen"



No comments:

Post a Comment