Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Rest in Paradise

I haven't updated my blog in a couple weeks now about my mother's progress. Unfortunately it was a rough 6-8 weeks with her being in and out of the hospital and sadly she passed away on February 17th.  She fought so hard and gave it her all, it's still hard to believe this is reality now.  But I was honored and proud to have enough strength to share a few words with everyone about the wonderful woman my mother was and the great life she lived. We all miss her tremendously!!!  Several people asked me where my strength came from when I gave this speech at my mom's funeral and I simply replied: from God and Mom, they were both with me! Don't worry mommy, I will still continue the teal fight in your honor so that hopefully other women won't have to go through this.

"My family and I want to thank all of you for being here today. We always knew what an amazing, generous and kind woman my mommy was, and this last week, the outpouring of love and support has proven this to be true. All the emails, texts, calls and cards have touched our hearts. I want everyone to know my mommy would've been humbled at this outpouring. She was never one to put herself before others and knowing that all of these people, some who don’t even know her, are praying and thinking of her and the family has surely put a big smile on her face.

I honestly don't know how I can adequately describe my mom with words. She lived her life in the most positive way. She encouraged us to love one another because we were all we had. Her actions were an incredible example that she showed my brother, me and Jazlyn the true definition of a mother. She was a person who possessed qualities we should all try to imitate and a true role model. I hope to be just like her!

My mommy cared deeply for her family and had the kindest of hearts. She cared more about us than her very own battle with cancer, and I must say I have no idea how someone endured so much physically, mentally, and emotionally but this only proved how strong she was! When you stepped into her house you could see and feel all her love for the family. You will find pictures everywhere you look and there are mountains of cherished photo albums that she held onto for many years. Thanks to her we have so many memories to look back on. I found it so interesting that when I was searching for pictures of her by herself the only time you would find one was prior to me and my brother being born. After she started her family it was very rare to find a picture by herself.  I know myself and others would try to be sneaky and snap a picture of her by herself but if you got caught she would fuss at you :-) She had one of the prettiest smiles yet rarely liked taking pictures lone. We would always joke with her about her loud voice, extreme house cleaning, and her short little self. She adored her grandchild, Jazlyn, more than anything and they had such a beautiful bond. We know that as she got sicker, one of the main reasons she fought so hard was for the family.  


We will miss her with all our heart and will always cherish the times we spent together, the memories are endless and everywhere we turn. She was always there for everything and anything we needed and was the most loving and caring wife, mother and grandmother. She was selfless and always put others ahead of her. She never wanted people to go out of their way for her. Yet, she did it all of the time for others. She has touched the lives of many people, even if it was with a few kind words, a kind gesture, or a bright smile. Even though she's physically gone, her memory will live in all of our hearts forever. Her spirit has not left us and she left a lasting impression. Everyone who was ever touched by her should have faith that she'll be watching over them because that's just the kind of person she was.

My mommy was a remarkable woman and I know she is proud of us and will help us through this. Cherish the memories you have of her and honor your family. This is how she lived her life and there is no better way of honoring her than by following her example. We should all take comfort in knowing that right now, she's standing at the gates of heaven, with a smile on her face and without any pain. It makes us so happy for her, even though I'm so sad for us. But mommy you couldn't have made us any prouder, you did everything right, and we can never thank you enough for all your love you shared with us each and every day. What a wonderful example you are for me as a woman, mother, and wife. I will be great because I learned it from the best and I'm amazing because you were amazing!" 

Obituary Link

No comments:

Post a Comment