Thursday, March 21, 2013

Brief Update

Our last doctor appointment was Monday, March 18th and unfortunately we received additional news we didn't want to hear....the cancer has spread into her liver now. So Monday was another shock and Tuesday was a pretty emotional day for me...sometimes it doesn't quite hit me until I leave her side and come back to Greensboro.  But I'm feeling a little better now that my dad and I have figured out how to proceed with her treatment, care, etc.

Since my mom has a rare form of ovarian cancer called carcinosarcoma, we've decided to take part in a clinical trial at Duke and she'll start chemo on Monday, March 25th.  The chemo treatment will require her to stay in the hospital overnight Monday-Thursday and returning Friday for a shot....repeating every 3 weeks for the next 18 weeks. 

I know this will be a tough process but I'm happy to be right by her side each step of the way and do all that I can for her.  My dad and I are going to do everything that it takes to get the best treatment available and search all options.  So I have also been researching and reading about other treatment centers and will probably be looking into getting a 2nd opinion from MD Anderson in Houston, Texas who are ranked #1 in the US.  I can honestly say I'm glad we only live 15 minutes away from the top treatment center in NC: DUKE HOSPITAL!

Facing the unknown is really scary so if anyone reading this can offer any advice, tips, suggestions, etc please do so.  Once again I appreciate all the calls and messages, thanks for the prayers and support.  Everyone please keep praying for my mom through this journey.
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment